Last week we warmly welcomed our fourth little baby into our family. We have named him Matthew and he sure has our family smitten with his strong, sweet spirit. He was born at 3:45pm and weighed in at 6lbs, 15oz. He was 19 inches long and has lots of black hair.
He came into the world taking care of business right from the start, he took his first pee just as he was getting his cord clamped. He was greeted by a pediatrician, two nurses, and a respiratory therapist who did everything under the sun to ensure our little Matthew was getting started in a positive way and it wasn't long until he was crying. After only a few minutes I got to do something the doctors told me not to expect, I got to hold him. There in a very frightening room was my little boy. I looked at this little blue eyed baby and my tears of relief and sure joy blurred much of that time but I will never forget that moment. I fell in love and my heart was burning and it hurt. My gratitude for answered prayers overwhelmed my body. I maybe only had him in my arms for a minute but that was all I needed. While in recovery nurses and doctors came and gave me updates. They wheeled my big long stretcher through the NICU where I saw my husband sitting in a chair holding our son. There were wires coming from the blanket and monitors showing his heart, oxygen, and breathing rates. I can't remember if I even had a chance to hold him again, but I did get to see him.
The rest of the day is a blur and I don't remember much except for nurses and my doctor coming and checking on me often. I was hemorrhaging and in so much pain. They pushed the drugs into my IV and it was until much later in the evening that I insisted they take me to Matthew. I spent the next three days being wheeled with an IV in tow back and forth from my room and the NICU. After day four I was discharged and was able to room in with Matthew for his final night. Coming home was amazing and it feels good to have everyone healthy and safe.
There isn't a second of the day that I don't thank God for his blessings. I am thankful for family and friends that fasted and prayed for our family and our Matthew. I am thankful for my faith, it is what keeps me going. I am grateful for my children and a husband who never ceases to amaze me. I am just grateful and my heart is full.
1 comment:
What a beautiful post. I was so happy to read it and about your experience. Welcome home to little Matthew!
Post a Comment