Monday, October 24, 2011

Sore Ears

This has been a really difficult week for Matthew.  He caught the cold Daniel was so good at sharing and before we knew it Matthew was fighting fevers, chills, and was so cranky.  I kept the Tylenol and Advil close by as I nursed him back to health, except health has still yet to come.  I took him to the Urgent Care on Friday night and the ER doctor was quite surprised by the severe infection he has in his right ear.  It would appear that the tube has since fallen out and the tube in the left is hanging on by a thread. 
He was put on an antibiotic and given a double dose before we were allowed to bring him home.  The doctor made me promise that if I didn't see him getting better in 24 to 48 hours to bring him back.  Well Sunday morning rolled around and boy was he sick.  Even worse then Friday.  So off to the Urgent Care again to wait, and wait, and wait some more.  By the time Matthew was seen he was screaming and rolling in pain and frustration.  The new ER doctor didn't need more than 20 seconds to decided that Matthew needed pain relief and fast so she ordered some Tylenol and Advil and he was double dosed.  I couldn't help it, I lost it.  I cried and cried.  I thought for sure this woman is going to think I'm crazy, especially when she closed the room door.  To my surprise she was crying with me.  Here was a woman that had never seen me or my son but took the time to hear this mothers heartache for her son.  She wasn't able to offer any sort of miracle, quick cure and I wasn't looking for that.  She offered  something that we don't often see from medical professionals.  A caring heart and time. 
Well his ears are so bad that we are giving him a different antibiotic, his ear drops (a steroid/antibiotic combo) and he has to stay on the double pain killer for awhile.  He as an emergency appointment with his ENT on Wednesday and his pediatrician will see him after his antibiotics are done.

No comments: