Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I'm taking it all off...

...and by all off I am referring to the extra padding I happen to have on my 5.5 frame.  I have mentioned before that a few of my family members started a challenge on January 2nd.  We all set a goal and a little friendly competition to loose weight.  We all weighed in together and marked down our weights and put them in an envelope.  We also all put in $50 to help with the motivation.  We are going to keep going until our final weigh in on July 2.  The person who has lost the most weight, by percentage of course wins.
Stepping on that scale in front of my whole family was super hard for me.  I did it with a kitchen full of my family and announced the large, scary number that was staring me in the face.  2.4.1.  Yikes I can't believe that I put this on my blog but yes my weight was an ugly 241 lbs.
Leaving my sisters house that day I realized that I had no game plan.  I didn't know where to begin.  So I came home and made a few changes, changes that I knew I could live with.  First thing first, no eating after 9:00pm.  It is still a late hour but sometimes by the time I get my kids settled, I haven't had my supper.  Eating breakfast every morning.  Making the decision that if I didn't want my kids to eat it, I wasn't allowed to.  It was only about a week into my new life style when my iPhone came to the door.  I saw a free application called Loseit.  I downloaded it and it has helped me to keep my calories in check.  I log everything I eat everyday and log any exercise I might get in.  I also record my weight so that I can see that little graph line dropping.  I also added my two sisters and my brother as friends.  They can see what my daily calorie intake is and if I happen to go over.  They also can see if I am getting off my butt and moving each and every day.
My goal is to drop 91 lbs. Hopefully I will reach this goal in November/December of this year.  If I don't not a huge deal, I want to do this in a healthy and safe way.  No crazy dieting and no pill popping for me.  I'm not able to go to a gym, and I won't be ordering any of Richard's or P90X DVDs in the near future.  However I will do this by facing the crazy woman who lives in my head.  The one who has been hiding for a long time leaving me to think that I would be forever fat.  She is slowly loosing her grasp on me and I am no longer in denial.  I have willpower.  Who knew??  I sure didn't.  I have to thank my sweet Matthew for this little gift.  After I found out that he was allergic to dairy I cut all dairy out of my diet so that he could still get my milk.  Breast feeding is something I have strong feelings about and believe that it is the best form of nutrition for any baby.  I was shocked to see that I was able to do this without any problems.  I was willing to give it all up just so that my son could have the best milk?  It took a few tears and a real shake of my head to apply that same logic to loosing weight.  Why was it so hard for me to leave the snacks, fast food, crappy junk food alone? Didn't I want all my kids to have the best, a healthy Mom?  
I am down 22 lbs and feeling great.  I am so proud of myself and know that I will be a better person and mother when this is all said and done. 

1 comment:

Lahni said...

Wow! Good for you - you're doing really well!