I was at doctors appointments all day today and for a break I took Daniel to a McDonald's play place. Matthew needed to eat and it was time for his lunch consisting of creamed corn and strawberry puree. Matthew doesn't sit yet so I put a few of his blankets around him in a highchair to hold him up and we got down to business. Matthew was uber distracted watching all the kids playing and screaming around him that it was hard to get him to stay focused. About half way through the feed I could hear the ladies at another table talk about how young my baby was and how he wasn't old enough to be eating solids. I was getting a tad annoyed when Matthew sneezed and his food came out his nose. For him, this is normal and we don't clean his face unless it is bugging him. It may not look pretty and can even be alarming but for Matthew he doesn't know or have a choice. What goes into his mouth also ends up in his nose. Enter the busy body ladies at the other table again commenting on how he was choking and the look of discust on their faces. It was like I was waving a soiled diaper under their noses.
Today I was jolted back into realizing that Matthew will forever have challenges. He will one day have to face children who will tease him because of his scars, his split gums, his misplaced teeth. A school photographer who may insist he shows his crooked teeth in school pictures. Maybe the parent volunteer who will over correct him during one on one reading time because he can't say the proper phonetic sounds.
I know that we have lots of time to prepare, but for today i feel it and I'm overwhelmed.
3 comments:
Ignorant people can't be expected to know any better Amanda... pay them no mind. However, you're right - he'll encounter ignorant people all of his life. They seem to be everywhere!! The best you can do I think - is just prepare him for it. Not that I'm an expert.
Thank you for your sweet comment on Caleb's blog... I'm sorry that people don't always understand... your little guy is so lucky to have a wonderful mother!
stumbled on your blog from Kathy's. My friend has an almost 1 year old who was born with cleft lip and palette. You should check out her blog.
http://ireneandwalmir.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment