I was sitting in church today watching Matthew toddle around the back of the room when an older lady turned to me and said "You must be elated watching every little step, every single progress that little boy makes". There must have been a look on my face because I was thinking about how proud I was of him. Yes, my heart is overwhelmed when Matthew does something he has been struggling learning to do. Take walking for example, he took his first steps on Dec 18th. We have been going to OT with him for a few months and Matthew has been doing things his way. (This doesn't surprise anyone, I'm sure his hospital chart say: Matthew's way or the highway.) His therapist was watching Matthew play around the room walking on his knees having a great time. Every time he was put on his feet he would let his legs go week until he was down and able to toddle off. She couldn't help but chuckle as it was like he didn't even know he had feet and what they were for. I can't wait to head back this week to show her all the progress he has made.
Another great feat for Matthew came this week while I was at lunch with my Mom, Daniel and Matthew. We were at a new little burger joint and I had forgotten Matthew's bottle at home. At lunch he wanted to have a drink and he wasn't happy about the sippy cup of water I was offering him and kept pointing to my pop. So knowing that he would only get frustrated trying the straw I held it down. I was shocked to see that Matthew was able to get a little suction on the straw and was moving the pop up and down. So I started to make kissing sounds while he watched and sure enough the little man sucked the pop right up inside his mouth and darn near choked to death. I was so shocked and amazed that I literally squealed with delight and clapped my hands. I am sure everyone around us thought I was crazy being so happy my baby was partaking of soda pop. He had a few more drinks and then was happy to continue on with his lunch. Triumph, he again did something that a doctor, specialist, therapist, nurse told us he wouldn't or couldn't do. I drove from the restaurant to a Walmart and bought him a little plastic sippy cup and put his bottles in a plastic bag, ready for the garbage. We are done and I am thankful not to purchase another $20 bottle.
So yes, I am truly elated when I watch him. He completes our family and we are all so proud of him.
No comments:
Post a Comment